Dr. Harvey Karp, renouned sleep guru and author of Happiest Baby on the Block, Happiest Toddler on the Block and now The Happiest Baby guide to Great Sleep, has developed and excellent method for helping your newborn get some much needed sleep. These are your tools for surviving the first 3 months of your baby’s life. The Happiest Baby on the Block is an essential read (or viewing if you are short on time and want to watch the DVD) for any expectant parent. Here are your 5 Ss:
• Shushing-anything from lots of SHHHHHH sounds, to a hair dryer or vacuum running, to a white noise machine.
• Side lying -simply laying on the side either in your arms or on their bed in a solid suface, carfully propped so they won’t roll onto their front
• Swinging-either in your arms or the car seat or a swing on the cradle setting
• Swaddling-swaddle ’em up good and tight. Your baby may fight it but they secretly love it. Its discerning for a newborn to have arms and legs flailing
• Sucking-either on the breast, a pacifier or even your clean finger will do
Sometimes you may only need one of these Ss, sometimes you may need only a few or even all 5. These tricks work great, until your baby is about 3 months or so.